paai.in Forum Index
<  Photography Tips and Tricks  ~  Post Processing for Larger Version image - Need Help
bneloy
PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:17 pm  Reply with quote
Kohinoor Member

I need some help from experts regarding the post processing of larger version of image (in tiff, size more than 15 MB) for printing purpose.

After doing the post processing while I am checking the View -> Actual Pixel, the image quality significantly decreases. I can see lots of noises or distortion in images (mainly on the sky part of the landscapes).
The size of the image remains 14"/9" in 240 pixels/inch.

I would like to know if I take a print in this condition will the bad quality will reflect in print also? In PS how can I see the actual output of a print version?

www.flickr.com/photos/neloy
mcliu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:12 am  Reply with quote
Silver Member

Hi bneloy,

Though I am not an expert .and whatever I say is from my personal expericence.. I could be wrong too..

There are few thing which needs to be remebered:-

A. Tiff is not a printable file formet .. As I have noticed most of the printer insist for "jpeg" file formet. As their printer software do not recognize the 'tiff' file.. they get flatten and converted into 'jpeg file".. As far I have noticed till date..

B. Pixel /inch and dots /inch is not one and the same thing..which is obvious

C. Viewing distance matters. In general.. Larger the print size higher will be viewing distance.. Can chack this out practicallly.. See any big hoarding.. form a distance which looks neater and sharper.. then go near to the poster you can clearly see it is soft and full of defects.

D. Know your Printer:- this is a bit complex part..Though ot looks to be simple..On summation, whather you are going to print in
1.colour laser printer
2. ink jet printer.
3. Thermal wax printer.
4. Dye Sublimation printer
5.Film recorder.

Out of this five options, 1st three are for low grade printing

Dye sublimation is admirable.. Where it is done you need to ask around..

E. Quality of matrial on which it is going to be printed. Thumb of rule. Matte for low contrast. Glossy for contrasty image.. Metallic is the best , if you need more contrast.. Then there are different material to like viny sheet and many more

If you wish to know how you image comes out in some size.. I think you need to get the proof image.. Moniter is not the place where you can judge them out

Hope this may help

Liu
mcliu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:27 am  Reply with quote
Silver Member

Forget to add one thing, if you are going to print on mattalic paper .. be chossy about the image you are going to print.. for all the images won't come out that well in matallic paper.. "BE CAREFUL".. Underline it my dear.. I have learned it in a very hard way..

Liu
radz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:59 am  Reply with quote
admin

Neloy landscape hope you din"t USM sky part..

http://www.rathikaramasamy.com